chinese visa:

Why do I need two blank visa pages to apply for Chinese visa?

How to - Visa Form & Application , 05-24-2019

Answer: The visa is affixed to pages in your passport marked for visa stamps, and it is required that visa stamps to be placed on those pages do not contain any other stamps. Sample:

How many days can I stay in China for each entry? Can I extend my stay in China while I am still in the country?

How to - Visa Form & Application , 05-20-2019

Answer: Chinese visa such as Tourist or Business multiple entry are usually issued 30, 60 or 90 days for each entry. If you need to stay longer while you are in China, please contact the local Public Security Bureau to file for an extension. Whatever you do, DO NOT OVERSTAY. Sample:

I don't see 10 years option on the application form. What do I do?

How to - Visa Form & Application , 05-17-2019

Answer: In Section 2.2 of Form V.2013, please check "Other, please specify" then type "10 years multiple entries". Please note that it is likely to get 10 years but it is not 100% guaranteed. You first have to make sure the visa type you are applying for is eligible for 10 years, i.e., Tourist (L), Business (M). The final decision is at the discretion of the Chinese Consulate. CEV is not part of the decision making process.

How to apply for 10 years Chinese visa?

How to - Visa Form & Application , 05-16-2019

Answer: Currently, only US and Canadian passport holders can apply for 10 years multiple entries for certain visa types. Eligible visa types are Tourist (L), Business (M),Visitor (Q2) or Private (S2) visa. Approval is at the discretion of the Chinese Consulate. CEV is not part of the decision making.

Do I need a visa to visit China?

General FAQs , 05-15-2019

Answer: Yes, US and Canadian citizens traveling to mainland China require a visa to enter. A visa needs to be obtained before traveling. A visa is not required if you are traveling to Hong Kong or Macau.

I need help with the website, where can I get technical support?

General FAQs , 12-22-2017

Answer: Please email us with any technical questions. Our team will look into your issue and find the best possible solution for you.

Can I request a refund?

General FAQs , 12-22-2017

Answer: Yes, your can request a refund. We only refund the Consular fee, not our service fee. For more details, please visit our Terms & Conditions.

Where can I get a receipt?

General FAQs , 12-22-2017

Answer: Your order is your receipt. Until you receive your passport and visa, your Order ID will be very important as it will be used to track your application's progress.

Can I cancel my application after it's been mailed?

After Applying , 12-19-2017

Answer: It is possible to cancel your application as long as it is before it has been sent to the Consulate for processing. Email our customer care for more information. Return policy applies. Our service fee and shipping fee are not refundable.

How do I upgrade shipping?

After Applying , 12-19-2017

Answer: It is possible to upgrade shipping as long as it is before the completion date or before we ship your passport. Please contact our customer service.