Chinese Work (Z) Visa Application Requirements
Chinese Work (Z) visa is required for those who are traveling to work in China. A Chinese government issued working permit or employment license is required. Z visa is usually issued for single entry and the maximum number of days allowed will be later determined. An individual that holds a Work (Z) visa should enter China within 90 days after the visa has been issued and must register at local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival. A Chinese Residence Permit will be issued to replace Z visa to allow multiple entries for one year. The requirements for Work (Z) visa are detailed below.
Do not staple any of the documents together. The Consulate will reject all stapled applications. Paperclips may be used.
1: Original Passport Plus a Photocopy of the Name Page
- Please include the original passport. The visa will be printed on your passport.
- It is recommended that passports have at least 12 months left before expiration.
- The passport should have at least 2 blank visa pages. Please keep in mind, this does not include the last 3 pages, as
- those are reserved by the US Department of State.
- If you have previously held a Chinese Visa, please provide a photocopy of previous Chinese visa.
- If previous Chinese visa is on an old passport, photocopy of old passport is required.
- If you have a VALID Chinese visa on an old passport and would like to apply for a new visa, you will need to submit both
- old and current passport.
- Non-US passport holders must provide a photocopy of their proof of legal stay in the US. Green card, full copy off I-20
- or long term US visa such as: L, H, F, TN. B1/B2 visa will not be eligible. Please do not send original unless
- the Chinese Consulate specifically request it.
Certain Non-US passport holders cannot apply for a visa through third parties and must apply in person at the Chinese Consulate/Embassy. The following includes, but not limited to:
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Congo, France, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan
2: Your Visa Application Form
- Complete this application on your computer, print it out, and sign it.
- Do not fill out this application by hand, it will not be accepted.
- All fields must be completed. If a section does not apply to you, type in "None" or "N/A."
- Incomplete forms, or forms with corrections will be rejected by the Consulate.
- Print out the application on single-sided pages.
- Do not staple the application together, it will be rejected. The application could be kept together with a paperclip.
3: One Recent Passport Photo
- The photo needs to contain your full face on a white background. The photo cannot be older than 6 months.
- Your local drugstore (such as Walgreens or CVS) are great places to get a passport photo taken.
- Please attach the photo to the application with a paperclip. Do not staple.
Please see: Chinese Visa Photo requirements
4: Notification of Work Permit
- Notification of Work Permit issued by China State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs obtained from employer in
- China. High quality copy will be accepted.
Sample of Chinese Work Permit:
- For applicants applying for long term Work (Z) visa (staying over 180 days) through Consulate in Chicago
- or San Francisco, you will be required to report to the Embassy for fingerprints and possible interview.
- Please include a copy of order confirmation email with your application.
- If you need to ship back to an international address, please call or email us for quote.