What Is a JW201 or JW202 Form?

Foreign students who intend to studying in China will need a Student (X) Visa. In addition to the admission notice from the school, a JW201 or JW202 is required to apply for X visa at the Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate. An X1 visa is issued to students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months. X2 visa is issued to those who will be studying for less than 6 months.

Once a student has been accepted, the university/school in China will generate a JW201 or JW202 form. JW201 is for students who will be studying in China on a full or partial scholarship. JW202 is for self sponsored students. The Chinese Authorized Unit has the jurisdiction to decide which form will be issued. Not only they do for the application of the student visa (X-Visa), but also for the renewal and extension of the student visa after the student registers in the university.

Students should keep the original copies of both documents to bring them with them to China as photocopies will not be recognized. Student (X) visa has a period of validity, therefore, students should arrange their trip to China in order to register at the university on time. Arriving in China too early may result in the expiration of your visa before the registration date. Late arrival will face issues in the arrangement of the student curriculum and schedule. Please note this form is issued for long-term study in China. For short-term, students can come to study in China with a tourist visa.