Chinese Tourist (L) Visa Application Requirements
Chinese Tourist (L) visa is required for those who are traveling to China for tourism or visiting friends. L visa usually allow you to stay in China for up to 60 days per visit, and allow multiple entries for a term up to 10 years for US and Canadian passport holders. Passport holders from other countries will usually be issued single valid for 3 months or double entry valid for 6 months. 10 years visa is not guaranteed. The total length of a visa is at the sole discretion of the Consulate, and they may issue a limited entry or shorter duration visa. The requirements for Tourist (L) visa are detailed below.
Do not staple any of the documents together. The Consulate will reject all stapled applications. Paperclips may be used.
1: Original Passport Plus a Photocopy of the Name Page
- Please include the original passport. The visa will be printed on your passport.
- It is recommended that passports have at least 12 months left before expiration.
- The passport should have at least 2 blank visa pages. Please keep in mind, this does not include the last 3 pages, as
- those are reserved by the US Department of State.
- If you have previously held a Chinese Visa, please provide a photocopy of previous Chinese visa.
- If previous Chinese visa is on an old passport, photocopy of old passport is required.
- If you have a VALID Chinese visa on an old passport and would like to apply for a new visa, you will need to submit both
- old and current passport.
- Non-US passport holders must provide a photocopy of their proof of legal stay in the US. Green card, full copy off I-20
- or long term US visa such as: L, H, F, TN. B1/B2 visa will not be eligible. Please do not send original unless
- the Chinese Consulate specifically request it.
Certain Non-US passport holders cannot apply for a visa through third parties and must apply in person at the Chinese Consulate/Embassy. The following includes, but not limited to:
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Congo, France, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan
2: Your Visa Application Form
- Complete this application on your computer, print it out, and sign it. Do not fill out this application by hand, it will not
- be accepted.
- All fields must be completed. If a section does not apply to you, type in “None” or “N/A.”
- Incomplete forms, or forms with corrections will be rejected by the Consulate.
- Print out the application on single-sided pages.
- Do not staple the application together, it will be rejected. The application could be kept together with a paperclip.
Please check our Guide to Filling Application Form for tips.
3: One Recent Passport Photo
- The photo needs to contain your full face on a white background.
- The photo cannot be older than 6 months.
- Your local drugstore (such as Walgreens or CVS) are great places to get a passport photo taken.
- Please attach the photo to the application with a paperclip. Do not staple.
Please see: Chinese Visa Photo requirements
4: Hotel and Round-Trip Flight Confirmation or Invitation Letter
- A printed copy of your round-trip flight confirmation.
- A printed hotel confirmation that clearly shows applicant’s name as guest.
If you are staying with someone in China and are not staying at a hotel, you must provide an invitation letter.
- Invitation letters must be accompanied by a photocopy of the host’s Chinese Identity Card (both sides).
- If the person you are staying with is not a Chinese citizen, a photocopy of their passport as well as a photocopy of their
- Photocopy of Chinese Permanent Residence Permit is required.
Sample of Chinese ID:
Invitation letters must contain the following information:
- Personal information of the applicant (name, gender, date of birth, passport number).
- General information of the applicant’s trip to China (purpose of visit, date of arrival/departure, places of visit,
- relationship between applicant and host, who will be responsible for cost of applicants accommodations in China).
- Information for the host (name, phone number, address, and signature).
Please see: Sample of Invitation Letter
Select your passport type:
We currently offer a Visa Package that includes return shipping!
Current packages offered:
You have the option to include your own prepaid label with your application or purchase from our website. Please see Shipping.
6: Additional Requirements For Each Consulate
Main requirements for Chinese visa are usually the same across the Chinese Consulates, however, there are some certain requirements for each Chinese Consulate. Please visit Additional Requirements Based on Jurisdiction to see if any of the listed rules apply to you.
7: Special Requirements for Minors
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a copy of the birth certificate and both parents’ passports name page is required.
- One of the parents must sign the form using the parent’s name in section 4 and 5.
- A notarized letter of consent may be required for minor applicants if the parents is not also applying for a visa.