States under DC jurisdiction include Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming and Washington DC
Examples of documents that can be authenticated:
Affidavit of Single Status.
Diploma, degree, TEFL, TESOL and school transcript.
Power of attorney for real estate transaction.
Non criminal record such as local police check or FBI background check
Copies of documents such as passport, driver’s license, etc.
Vital records such as birth certificate or marriage certificate
In order to have your documents authenticated by the Secretary of State and Chinese Consulate, please complete the following steps first:
- Documents not issued by government offices should be notarized by a local authorized Notary Public first. The document should be signed in presence of the Notary Public. The notary should add an acknowledgement such as “Signed and sworn (or affirm) to before me this___ day of _______, 20__.” and completed with notary seal and signature.
- State issued document such as vital records does not need to be notarized. You should obtain a certified copy and can skip step 1.
- For University or college degree/diploma, we recommend to obtain a notarized copy to avoid damage to your original. Please contact your school to obtain a copy.
Town or County Authentication:
- Some states may require authentication by Town or County Clerk beforehand. Please check with your Secretary of State if this requirement is necessary.
1) Place an order.
$239 per document (includes government fee, consular fee & CEV service fee). This does NOT include return shipping. You may include a prepaid shipping label or purchase return shipping from our website.
The default shipping address will be your billing address, please make sure it is correct. If you would like to have your order shipped to a different address, please list the address in the notes during checkout or email our customer service.
2.) Prepare and mail in the following required documents:
- Document you wish to have authenticated.
- Completed Consulate Legalization Application Form. The form must be typed in capitalized letters on computer, printed out and signed in both places in Section 8. Do not fill out Section 2 and 7, leave them blank. Click here for form.
- Photocopy of passport name page (top and bottom)
- Order confirmation email
3) Patiently wait.
Regular processing time can take approximately 2-4 weeks.
Expedited service is not available for Chinese Embassy in DC.
Holiday closings will incur some delay.
Once your document is retrieved from the Consulate, we will ship your document back to you. You will receive a tracking number when your order has shipped.